If there is one thing common in women, it would be their love for shoes. We see women from different walks of life every day. Some go to offices, schools, offices, malls, and other settings. They sport different types of shoes with varying designs. If you wonder about their shoe sizes and ask the same question shoemakers do, we are here to answer it. The average female shoe sizes vary because of different factors. Believe it or not, demography, physiologic changes, and even the weather have something to do with it. Reading all the information we have outlined in this article will help you learn more about the average female shoe size.
Getting to Know More About Female Shoe Sizes
If you started reading about it, you might have noticed that the average shoe size for women has changed over the years. Are you curious as to the reasons why this happens? Let’s start discussing them.
Understanding the Basics
Before discussing how the average shoe size woman shoes came about, you have to know how they are measured first. First, you must understand that different countries have varying ways to measure shoes. They do not use the same measurement system, so make sure to verify it first when checking out shoes. The tricky part is that the measurements can start from 1 or 0. Also, they may have varying measurements for their sizes. Hence, it helps to know the accurate measurements for each size.
If you think every shoe in a pair measures the same, then you are wrong. Though they are sold with the exact declared size, the left and right shoes have slight differences. Companies only claim them the same because they aren’t permitted to sell a pair of shoes of different sizes.
Factors Affecting Shoe Sizes
As we mentioned earlier, several factors affect a woman’s shoe size. Let’s talk about the most common ones.
There are a lot of questions about people’s feet changing with age. There are studies done to find the truth in this claim, and they found out one thing. A woman’s shoe size has nothing to do with age. Though a person goes through many changes in puberty, their feet growth lessens between the ages of 12 to 13. It is also helpful to understand that a person’s feet will stop growing beyond the age of 20.
According to data, a person’s height is somehow related to their shoesize. Here are the following relationships of women’s height in the US versus their shoesizes.
- 4’8″ to 5’3″ usually have shoes sized 5 to 8.5
- 5’4″ to 5’7″ usually have shoes sized 6.5 to 10
- 5’8″ to 6’2″ usually have shoes sized 11 to 12.5
- 6’3″ and taller usually have shoes sized 13 to 20 and above
Though a person’s weight does not significantly affect a person’s shoe size, it can slightly affect it. This is because when a woman gains weight, the body somehow distributes the fat to different parts of it, including the feet. That is why people who gain weight or become obese experience changes such as having wider and bigger feet.
Women experience changes in their bodies when they become pregnant. They experience swelling, and their feet are not exempted from that. Fluid retention and weight gain are common in pregnancy, so you can expect to see changes in their figure.
With this situation at hand, it is advised to get pregnant women shoes to accommodate the swelling. Pregnancy requires comfortable, soft, and well-fitting shoes for ample support and cushion. Though in rare cases, some women’s feet do not go back to normal even after giving birth.
Apart from pregnancy, there are other reasons why a woman can have swollen feet. It can be caused by an injury from an accident. Sometimes, it can be caused by a medical condition. There are several health issues that cause swelling in a person’s body. In this case, size allowances should be considered to maintain good blood circulation and blood flow.
Pointers in Getting the Right Shoes
Finding the right size and pair for a woman can be challenging because of these factors. Hence, here are a couple of pointers to find shoes of the right size.
- Measure your feet every time you make a purchase. With several changes going on in your body, you will have to make new measurements each time. Buying the same sizes of shoes based on past purchases is not advised because your feet may have had changes in sizes over time.
- Always make measurements at the end of the day. A long day at work or a hot afternoon can have your feet swelling than usual. Your measurements should be able to accommodate these changes, so you don’t end up buying shoes that are tight and poor fitting.
- Your feet do not have identical measurements. One foot will be wider so make sure to always go for a pair that accommodates the bigger foot. Apart from this, you must consider the style and design of the shoes. Some designs may be too narrow to accommodate regular feet measurements and may require a size bigger.
- Breaking in shoes is a thing, but don’t rely on it too much. If a pair is tight and it does not fit your feet well, do not consider purchasing it. Always go for shoes that are comfortable during your fitting. Breaking them in will only add up a little space but won’t fix a small or poorly fitting pair.
A woman’s average shoe size differs from one country to another. Its specific measurements can vary according to brands and models too. Having an idea of the average sizes for women can give you an idea of what to expect. Apart from that, considering the factors that contribute to its changes will come in handy too. So, whether you are a woman or a manufacturer looking for shoes, make sure to remember all these details.